Social Icons

.

14 September 2014

Interview with Julianne Mitchell from Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard!


1) Hello Ms. Julia Mitchell! I'm glad you grant me the opportunity to take you this interview. My first question is about your temporary stay in Italy, so can you please tell me what you have visited the first time you have got there and what would you recommend us to visit?

     Hello Simona. Thank you for inviting me. When I first visited Florence, I was a student studying at the university. I spent a lot of time in the library and taking classes, and also at the Uffizi.

2) From what I have been able to notice, it appears you have the same inclination towards art as Mr. Emerson, so can you please tell me what it’s your opinion about the representation of Dante's Hell by Sandro Botticelli?

     I like Botticelli’s illustrations very much. That’s why I persuaded Gabriel to lend them to the Uffizi Gallery.

3) What feeling you had after you have finished reading "The Divine Comedy"?

     Once I finished it, I wanted to read it again. There were so many historical and literary references that I missed. It’s the kind of work that takes a lifetime to study.
4) I learned something very important from you. Evil can be defeated by goodness, yet I wanted to ask you if it was hard to keep the goodness and not surrender to evil, after everything that has happened to you?

     Parts of my life were difficult. But why should my life be different from anyone else’s? I’m very blessed. I try to focus on the blessings and what I have rather than focusing on the bad things, because otherwise I’d be miserable and wasting my life.

5) You succeeded to remain beside Gabriel, despite his revelations, and I really liked what you have said to him at that time, but especially the fact that you have not left his side, and for me that mattered more that you could think, and it made me admire you much more. I was wondering though, do you think it will be hard to heal the wounds from Mr. Emerson past?

     Gabriel is the one who taught me that some scars never disappear. The question is whether you allow yourself to be crippled by your wounds or if you strive for healing and to overcome them.

6) I believe that the reading can greatly influence the personality of a young person, so my question for you is: has there been a book that has left its mark on you? For example for me it was La Bête humaine by Émile Zola.

     Sometimes it’s the simplest stories that are the most incredibly influential. For example, I find the story of Aslan’s sacrifice for Edmund in “The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe” to be incredibly moving and inspirational. It influenced a lot of what I think about forgiveness, love, and grace.

7) This will be a more personal kind of question and you do not need to answer me if you don’t want to. I know that due to your financial problems, you had to live in a place according to your budget, and unfortunately there are children who blame their parents for this reason, because they cannot provide them what they want, but to your father you have shown him kindness. What would you say to those children who do not have great financial resources and blame their parents for this?

    Well, I didn’t think my father owed me anything. I was an adult. I choose to go to graduate school. So I had to live in an apartment I could afford.

     I was well aware of the fact that I was lucky to be able to go to college. There are parts of the world where girls can’t even go to school, let alone go to college. So I’m grateful for the opportunities I had in my country. Even though my apartment was modest, I had food to eat and a warm place to sleep. Every day when I walked from my apartment to my classes at the University of Toronto, I passed homeless people. Some were young and some were old. And on rainy days or when winter came, I thanked God I had a home and food to eat when others didn’t.

8) Finally, can you tell me what do you think about this interview? And can you send me a few words to those in Romania who had learned so many lessons from you and from the Professor as much as I did ? (Thanks Gabriel and Julia for a valuable lesson about kindness!)

    It was generous of you to think of me and invited me to the interview. Thank you. Please say hello to the other Romanian readers. One of my mantras is “Kindness is never wasted.” I believe this. I practice this. And it changed my life. I think it will change other lives, too. Thank you. Julianne Emerson.


Versiunea în română:

1) Bună ziua Domnişoară Julia Mitchell mă bucur că mi-aţi oferit ocazia de a vă lua acest interviu. Prima mea întrebare este legată de şederea dumneavoastră temporară în Italia, îmi puteţi spune vă rog ce aţi vizitat prima dată când aţi ajuns acolo şi ce ne recomandaţi şi nouă să vizităm? 

    Bună Simona. Mulţumes pentru invitaţie. Prima dată când am vizitat Florenţa, eram studentă la universitate. Am petrecut foarte mult timp la bibliotecă şi la cursuri, dar şi la Uffizi.

2) Din câte am putut să ne dăm seama aveţi aceeaşi inclinaţie spre artă ca Domnul Emerson, îmi puteţi spune ce părere aveţi despre reprezentarea Infernului de către Sandro Botticelli? 


    Îmi plac ilustraţiile lui Botticelli foarte mult. De aceea l-am convins pe Gabriel să le împrumute Galeriei Uffizi.

3) Ce sentiment aţi avut după ce aţi terminat de citit „Divina Comedie”? 

    Odată ce am terminat de citit "Divina Comedie" am vrut să o recitesc. Am găsit foarte multe referinţe istorice şi literare, pe care le-am ratat. Această lucrare este una care îţi ia o viaţă să o studiezi.

4) Am învăţat un lucru de la dumneavoastră, că răutatea poate fi înfrântă de bunătate, cu toate astea voiam să vă întreb dacă va fost greu să vă păstraţi bunătatea şi să nu cădeţi pradă răutaţii după tot ceea ce vi s-a întâmplat? 

    Părţi din viaţa mea au fost dificile. Dar de ce viaţa mea ar trebui să fie diferită de a altora? Sunt foarte norocoasă. Încerc să mă concentrez pe binecuvântările din viaţa mea şi pe ceea ce am, în loc să mă concentrez pe lucrurile negative, pentru că altfel m-aş simţi mizerabil şi mi-aş irosi viaţa.

5) Aţi reuşit să rămâneţi alături de Gabriel, în ciuda dezvăluirilor făcute, mi-a plăcut foarte mult ceea ce i-aţi spus, dar mai ales faptul că aţi rămas, pentru mine să ştiţi că a contat şi m-a făcut să vă admir şi mai mult. Mă întrebam totuşi, credeţi că vă va fi greu să-i vindecaţi rănile trecutului Domnului Emerson? 

     Gabriel este cel care m-a învăţat că unele cicatrici nu dispar niciodată. Întrebarea este dacă tu îţi permiţi să te laşi mutilat de rănile tale sau dacă lupţi să le vindeci şi să le învingi.

6) Eu sunt de părere că cititul influenţează foarte mult personalitatea unui tânăr, există vreo carte care şi-a lăsat amprenta asupra dumneavoastră? Spre exemplu asupra mea şi-a lăsat amprenta Bestia umană de 
Émile Zola

    Câteodată cele mai simple poveşti au cea mai mare influenţă. De exemplu, găsesc povestea sacrificiului lui Aslan pentru Edmund din "Leul, Vrăjitoarea şi Dulapul", emoţionantă şi inspiraţională. A influenţat foarte mult ceea ce cred despre iertare, dragoste şi graţie.

7) Aceasta va fi o întrebare mai personală şi puteţi să nu-mi răspundeţi dacă nu doriţi. Ştiu că datorită problemelor financiare locuiţi într-un loc alocat bugetului dumneavoastră, din păcate sunt copii care îşi condamnă părinţii pentru că nu le pot oferi ce vor, dumneavoastră însă îi arătaţi tatălui bunătate nemărginită. Ce le puteţi spune acelor copii care nu au posibilităţi financiare extraordinare, dar îşi condamnă părinţii pentru asta? 

    Ei bine, nu cred că tatăl meu îmi datora ceva, eram un adult. Am ales să merg să absolv şcoala aşa că a trebuit să trăiesc într-un apartament, pe care să mi-l permit.

     Am fost foarte conştientă de faptul că am avut norocul de a putea merge la colegiu. Sunt părţi ale lumii unde fetele nici măcar nu pot merge la şcoală, sau nu sunt lăsate să meargă singure la colegiu. Aşa că sunt recunoscătoare pentru oportunităţile pe care ţara mea le oferă. Chiar dacă apartamentul meu era modest, am avut ce mânca şi un loc călduţ unde să pot dormi. În fiecare zi când mergeam de la apartamentul meu la cursurile de la Universitatea din Toronto, treceam pe lângă oameni fără adăpost. Unii tineri alţii bătrâni. În zilele ploioase, sau în cele friguroase îi mulţumesc lui Dumnezeu că am o casă şi mâncare, pe când alţii nu au.

8) În final îmi puteţi spune cum vi s-a părut acest interviu? Şi le puteţi transmite câteva cuvinte celor din România care au avut de învâţat de la voi la fel de mult cum am avut şi eu? (Mulţumim Gabriel şi Julia pentru o lecţie preţioasă despre bunătate!)

    A fost foarte generos din partea ta să te gândeşti la mine şi să mă inviţi la acest interviu. Mulţumesc! Te rog să-i saluţi şi pe ceilalţi cititori din România. Una dintre mantrele mele este "Bunătatea nu este niciodată o pierdere de vreme", cred asta. Practic asta şi mi-a schimbat viaţa. Cred că o să schimbe şi alte vieţii de asemenea. Mulţumesc, Julianne Emerson!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates